Assistant Extension Educator Torrington
- Location: 06790, Torrington, Connecticut
The University of Connecticut, Department of Extension is seeking a 4-H Assistant Extension Educator to work from its Litchfield County Extension Center in Torrington, CT. This position is responsible for developing, teaching, implementing, and evaluating a high-quality, comprehensive, diverse 4-H youth development educational program. This position will also have a strong emphasis on 4-H Animal Sciences Programming, and will work closely with Extension faculty and staff as well as the UConn Department of Animal Science and animal industry stakeholders. Programming will be primarily in Litchfield County, but state and regional work is also expected. The Litchfield County 4-H Extension Educator is a vital member of the UConn 4-H Youth Development Team. The position reports to the Head, Department of Extension. For more information about the University of Connecticut 4-H Extension Program see http://www.4-h.uconn.edu/.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Develop, implement and provide administrative and educational direction for Litchfield County 4-H Youth Development outreach programs for youth and volunteers. Successful candidate will:
• Develop, implement, and teach educational programming and carry out applied research designed to advance STEM, health, leadership, and life skills in youth (ages 5-19) and adult audiences.
• Provide expertise to 4-H animal science related subject matter, activities and events within the county, state and region, including New England 4-H Council activities.
• Develop and conduct grantsmanship and carry out scholarship in program areas.
• Promote 4-H youth enrollment and seek new 4-H volunteers.
• Evaluate county and designated state 4-H youth development program accomplishments, outcomes, impacts and create scholarly materials from findings.
• Develop and implement adult and youth volunteer programs in Litchfield County, including recruitment, training, management, evaluation and recognition.
• Design training opportunities and expand contact with adult volunteers and teens to help them assume leadership, management, education, and information delivery roles in support of the 4-H program through a variety of digital platforms and avenues of communication.
• Create partnerships with other agencies and organizations and actively seek out grants and funding sources with them to support innovative community programs and outreach efforts.
• Advise and guide the work of county-based 4-H volunteer committees, including the 4-H Fair Association, and others.
• Work with the Litchfield County Extension Council and collaborate with Department of Extension faculty and staff to support Extension Center-wide activities.
• Work and collaborate with other members of the 4-H Team and volunteers on county, statewide, and regional programs and events.
• Promote programming for diverse audiences and assure compliance with university, state, and federal civil rights and diversity policies.
• Increase and build youth development and programming expertise through professional development activities.
• Participate in regular 4-H team and Department of Extension meetings.
• Compile data and prepare required reports.
• Perform related duties as assigned and/or required.
• Supervise program staff, students and others as assigned to further program activities.
• Master’s and Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, environmental sciences, education or related field.
• At least three years professional experience working with youth development programs including the areas of agriculture or environmental education.
• Experience in the livestock industry carrying out livestock programming
• At least three years’ experience in managing or working with volunteers.
• Experience in program coordination and facilitation, including organization, delivery, and evaluation.
• Demonstrated use of the latest research-based and experiential learning-based information and tools.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse audiences including youth, adults, volunteers, and other groups.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and develop partnerships with other professionals and organizations to accomplish team goals.
• Experience in fund development and/or grantsmanship.
• Excellent communications skills, including writing, listening, public speaking and presentation skills.
• Computer literacy, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to work flexible hours including occasional nights and weekends
• Willingness to travel statewide to meet clients and occasionally travel in New England for regional activities
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Demonstrated experience working with 4-H animal science or environmental education programs
• Proven success developing experiential livestock education curriculum.
• Ability to work effectively with social media and communication technologies.
• Proficiency in managing databases.
• Experience with Cooperative Extension and the land-grant university system.
• English/Spanish bilingual capacity.
• Demonstrated experience in writing for scholarly publications.
This is a full-time, 11-month non-tenure track position based in Torrington, Connecticut. Available personal transportation is required; mileage allowance is provided. Evening and weekend work is required. Starting salary for this position will be commensurate with training and experience. For information on benefits, go to: http://www.hr.uconn.edu/benefits/index.html.
Select “Apply” and submit the following materials via Academic Jobs Online. Please submit a cover letter, statement of your vision for the 4-H Assistant Extension Educator position (not to exceed two pages), and curriculum vitae. Additionally, please include at least three references with full contact information and email addresses. Screening will begin immediately. Applications and supporting materials will continue to be reviewed until a candidate has been identified and accepted.
Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search #2019279)
This position will be filled subject to budgetary approval.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics, which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty, and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural, and diverse community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations
- Avoid scams by acting locally or paying with PayPal
- Never pay with Western Union, Moneygram or other anonymous payment services
- Don't buy or sell outside of your country. Don't accept cashier cheques from outside your country
- This site is never involved in any transaction, and does not handle payments, shipping, guarantee transactions, provide escrow services, or offer "buyer protection" or "seller certification"
Assistant TeacherEducation - Training - Torrington (Connecticut) - 2019/04/22
KinderCare Education Torrington, CT Description: KinderCare Education is the nation's leader in early childhood education. We nourish curiosity through purposeful experiences to create a future full of lifelong learners. From our National Support Cen...
Employment Opportunity at the Torrington LibraryEducation - Training - Torrington (Connecticut) - 2016/09/20
The Torrington Library is seeking a self-motivated and willing candidate to fill the part time position of Development Associate. The Development Associate is responsible for all administrative aspects of development and works under the supervision o...